Ending or changing your tenancy

Ending your tenancy

If you want to end your tenancy, you must give at least four weeks notice.

The tenancy agreement you signed when you were given the keys to your home is a legal contract and to end your tenancy you must:

  • complete a termination of tenancy form
  • give us four weeks written notice
  • ensure your home is clean, tidy and fit to rent to somebody else
  • pay any outstanding rent or other charges

Your tenancy must end on a Sunday.

During the four week notice period, you must allow the Councils access to the property to carry out an inspection. We will confirm a date and time with you.

If you wish to remove one person from a joint tenancy, please visit our Succession, assignment and tenancy changes webpage to find out further information.

End your tenancy online

If you do not wish to use our online form, you may download a copy of the form in a PDF format:


Report a death or succession

If you are the executor of a sole tenant who has died, you must give at least two weeks' notice to end the tenancy, via a termination of tenancy form.

You will be asked to provide proof, such as probate or a letter of administration.

You should be aware that any housing benefit that a tenant was entitled to ends on the date of death. Any rent arrears left at the end of the tenancy are charged to the deceased tenant’s estate.

If you would like to notify us of a tenant's death and complete the termination of tenancy form (if appropriate), please complete our online form:

Notifying us of a death


If a tenant dies and leaves someone else living in the home, they may be able to take over the tenancy. This is known as a succession.

A secure periodic tenancy can only be transferred once. No further statutory successions can be claimed by any other occupier. Please refer to the tenancy agreement for further information.

Babergh Tenancy agreement

Mid Suffolk tenancy agreement

If you wish to notify us of a tenant's death and apply for succession, please complete our online form above. 

If a tenant dies and there is no other person living in the property, you will need to give notice to end the tenancy

Leaving the property

When you move out of your home, there are certain things you must do.

Keys must be returned to us on or before your tenancy end date, but no later than 12pm on the following day. The front door key to the property must be returned to the Council (using the key safe provided - a key code will be provided to you).

Any remaining keys can be left in a kitchen drawer. Please email our Tenancy Services team to tell us when you have done this.

Add a joint tenant

You may wish to share the responsibility of your tenancy with someone who lives with you.

If you meet the applicable criteria to apply for a joint tenancy, please complete our online form.

Apply for a joint tenancy

Remove a name from a tenancy

This will be allowed if both tenants are in agreement. 

Tenancy changes - removing a name from a joint tenancy' leaflet additional notes

  • This leaflet provides details about removing a name from a tenancy.
  • Our telephone number is now 0300 123 4000
  • Please note it is always advisable to seek independent legal advice.

Remove a name from a joint tenancy online

Transfer your tenancy (by assignment)

If you are looking to move, you can apply to assign (transfer) your tenancy. This needs to be to a qualifying person who has lived with you for at least one year.

Apply to assign your tenancy

To apply, you need to fill out our online form.

Assign your tenancy 

Please note, the assignee/prospective tenant must register with the housing allocation scheme Gateway to Homechoice. Apply on our Gateway to HomeChoice section

Other tenancy changes

If you wish to make any other changes, you will need to put your request in writing.

Please email Tenancy Management with your request. Make sure to include any supporting documents, such as a marriage certificate, deed poll or birth certificate. 

We may contact you to request further information.

Once we have processed your application, we will let you know of the outcome in writing.