Report A Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction Change

You must keep us informed of any changes to your circumstances immediately after they happen. This is even if you have already told the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or another council department.

Report a Change in Circumstances

Examples of changes you must report

  • if someone moves in or out
  • if your income changes
  • if your savings amount changes
  • if your rent changes
  • if you qualify for another benefit
  • if you stop getting Income Support/Job seekers or Employment Support Allowance/Universal Credit
  • if anyone in your home has a change of circumstances

Please note this is not a full list. If you are not sure whether to tell us something or not, please ask.

It is important we know any changes immediately, as delays could affect the amount of help you receive.

Changes that could reduce your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction

You will have to repay any amounts that you are no longer entitled to if you delay or fail to tell us about a change in circumstance.

Changes that could increase your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction

Normally changes in circumstances that may increase your entitlement, will start from the date you tell us - not the date it happened.

What to send us

The law says that you must tell us about any change of circumstances immediately.

We need the changes in writing, a phone call is not enough.

You must also provide proof of any changes, such as:

  • a letter from your landlord telling you of a change in your rent or a new tenancy agreement
  • your latest pay slips or pension slips to show the new amount you get as wages/pension
  • a letter from the DWP or His Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) showing changes in your allowances or Tax Credits
  • a letter from the DWP showing changes in your benefits

We will also need the same proof of changes for other people who live with you.

If you cannot provide proof immediately you should report the change/s and any documents, you have now. Then, provide any other documents as soon as you can. Your evidence can be uploaded online.

Evidence Submission Form

You can also provide your evidence in person at our offices, or by post.